The tattoo as a whole is a Celtic knot. My heritage is largely Scottish (please note the freckles in the picture...lol), and I identify with it. I also think that Celtic knots are beautiful. Next, the two rings represent my marriage. I couldn't get through this life without my husband, so naturally, I had to include it. The cross represents my faith. I also could not get through life without my faith and my church family. I realized the other day that the cross is holding the rings...which is symbolic in itself. The three pink circles around the knot are for my husband, our daughter, and myself. We all have October birthdays, and October has a pink stone. The green circle in the middle of the cross is for the baby we lost. S/he was due in May, which is an emerald birthstone. If you notice, I left a blank area for another birthstone. I hope that we're able to add it to this tattoo very soon!
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
The Tattoo
The craziest thing that my loss and struggle inspired was my tattoo. I got it a week ago today. I'd wanted one for years, but planned on only getting one, so I wanted it to mean a lot to me. I had the basic idea for this tattoo for quite some time, but it felt silly and frivolous to get it, so I waited. After the doctor told me that we'd lost the baby, I had an overwhelming feeling that now was the time to get it. I brought in my idea to the tattoo artist and he improved on it. It hurt like crazy, but I think it was worth it. I have it between my shoulder blades, so it will almost always be hidden, but I have something that has a piece of it dedicated to the baby we lost with me forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment