Monday, October 26, 2009

The Plot Thickens

After I was awoken in the middle of the night by stabbing pain, I called my doctor's office and talked to the screening nurse.  She said that Clomid can cause everything to be a bit more sensitive and that I was probably ovulating.  I didn't feel like that was the case, but went about my business anyway.  About a week later, I kept having a dull-ache in the same area.  If I moved too quickly, it would turn into a stabbing pain.  I started feeling around on my stomach in the area of the pain and could feel a mass.  At first it was smallish, but it ended up feeling like the size of the palm of my hand before I was able to get in to see the doctor.  As soon as she had me in the stirrups, she could tell that I had a very large cyst on my left ovary.  The course of action was to go med-free for a cycle and be on pelvic rest to see if the cyst would go down on it's own.  (Somewhere in the course of all of this, I got my period on my own, which was a huge sign that things were moving in the right direction, despite the cyst).

My husband and I decided to go ahead and try to get pregnant anyway--just very carefully.  Doing any kind of jarring activity could cause the cyst to burst.  I also continued to chart just to see what my body was doing.  My temperatures were all over the place, so I assumed that I never ovulated.  My period also did not come on it's own. 

At my follow up appointment, my doctor said that the cyst had gone down on it's own, so we could start trying again.  Since I was on cycle day 35, she told me to take a pregnancy test.  If it was negative, I could start Provera again.  As soon as I got home, I took a test.  As I expected, it was negative, so I started the Provera that night.  I couldn't wait to move on to another cycle.

No comments: