Yesterday, I had my two-week follow up with my MD. I told him that I have felt so much better being gluten-free. My joints no longer hurt, my rash was clearing up, and I generally have more energy than I can ever remember. I also told him that I ate some Arby's fries coating in flour on Thursday and immediately broke out in a red, itchy rash on my hands. I also felt as though I had taken a sedative and my tongue went numb. He looked and me and said, "Hmmm. Well, your blood test was negative." He said that he doesn't know what is wrong with me and suggested that I get a Cortisone shot to clear up my rash's reappearance.
I am very frustrated that it seems he didn't hear what I told him about my absence of symptoms and then sudden reaction when I ate something containing gluten. Just because my blood test was negative, doesn't mean my symptoms don't mean anything. I've read many times that if dermatitis herpatiformus is present, a blood test may be negative, because the antibodies are in the skin, rather than in the blood stream. I said before that I didn't care what the blood results were, but it would have been nice to have validation. I don't think my doctor will take what I'm feeling seriously since it isn't show in the lab work. :( I wish he would have at least said, "If being gluten-free makes you feel better, then stay gluten-free." He didn't even acknowledge what I've been doing.
On the reproductive front, my period showed up around midnight last night. (Not sure why my fertility friend ticker is wrong, here). I'm glad to be moving on to the next cycle. I'm going to remain gluten-free and make sure we TTC as much as possible between CD 12 and CD 16. Get ready, Husband! :)
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
If it works for you and you are feeling better, then stay Gluten Free.
Booooo! That sounds all very frustrating! Obviously you NOT eating gluten is a good thing and it kinda sucks that your doctor can't recognize that just b/c the blood work says you aren't allergic. Whatever, just keep being gluten-free regardless of your blood test especially if it makes you feel better! :-) Oh, and we are cycle buddies! It's C.D 1 for me too! Maybe the cosmos will magically line up for both of us this month...we can always hope! :-)
hugs!
Christina
curseofthechewedbuddha.blogspot.com
I agree with the comments above, if gluten free is helping you keep it up! Validation is nice, but give yourself credit too, you know you feel better and that's really what should matter! ~Praying for you and you fam.~
Post a Comment