Saturday, December 3, 2011

Another Delay

Unfortunately, being an adult means making difficult decisions.  With the way things are going, it looks like our plans to adopt will be put on hold until I graduate...a year from now.

We've been a one-income family for five years and have steadily been doing better, financially.  My husband had a part-time job that helped pick up the slack more than we knew--until that job was no more.  He worked part-time on his days off from his full-time job.  His part-time employer, however, decided to hire another full-time person, which essentially eliminated the need for part-time help.  He still gets on-call time, but that pays a whopping $1/hour unless he gets called out to work.

Therefore, in the past several months, we've literally been living paycheck to paycheck and, most of the time, just short of it.  Yesterday, we had to move some money around to get through the weekend.  On my drive home from school, while processing the reality of our situation, I realized that adoption is going to have to go on the back burner.

Even if someone were to write us a check for all of the adoption costs, no birth mother is going to choose us due to our lack of financial stability at this point.  A lawyer probably wouldn't allow us to go through the process.

I'm very, very sad about this.  I feel like it is all my fault since I am in school, which prevents me from working.  (Or, I could get a part-time job and never see my family).  There aren't many jobs that are willing to work around my husband's schedule for part-time hours (for him OR me).

I don't know where to go from here.  Maybe we aren't meant to have any other children at all.

1 comment:

Jenn0021 said...

I am so sorry that this is happening, it completely sucks. I'm thinking of you lots.