Saturday, November 6, 2010

Planning

We received an application in the mail today for adoption through a foster care agency that is different than the one I spoke to a few days ago.  I decided to go ahead and fill it out to see how they work.  On the form, they have the choices of  foster care, adoption, and both.  That is reassuring to me.  The only hang-up with this particular agency, thus far, is that we would have to travel 30 minutes for the classes.

Also, I decided that over Thanksgiving break, I am going to begin preparations in our spare bedroom.  Right now, it is kind of a catch-all, so there is a lot that needs to be done.  I hope to get it painted and mostly cleaned out.  Then, over Christmas break, I will get more serious.  I want to look into purchasing a crib that coverts to a toddler bed.  Our ideal child to adopt would be an infant, but we are also going to look at children up to two years old--maybe three years old, depending on the situation.  If we have a crib, we can just take the front off and have a toddler bed.  I also need to find a dresser.  We have a nice rocker/recliner in our daughter's room that will need to be moved into that room (for rocking babies to sleep!).  I will go through our daughter's toys to get the younger ones out and into a tub in that room.

I have spoken with several people who have experience in the fostering/adoption world, and it is reassuring to have a great network and wealth of information.  I know we are going to have a million questions along the way and maybe need someone to hold our hand, so we are grateful for them all.

No comments: