Tuesday, November 2, 2010

And So the Rollercoaster Ride Begins

I received a letter today from the adoption attorney, outlining her services and what to expect along the way.  She requires $5000 to be placed in a retainer account at the time that a birth mother is matched with the family.  She also charges $200 an hour and $50 an hour for her assistant.  We would be expected to pay some of the living and medical expenses of the birth mother up to six weeks after she has given birth.  In order to have more extensive information sent to us, we must respond with a $250 check.

Compared to working with an agency, her fees are next to nothing.  However, it is still a lot of money for us to just write a check for.  I don't know how we'd be able to do it, particularly knowing that the birth mother could back out at any time, leaving us with nothing to show for it.  We would lose all of our money in that case.

I feel like we've hit a brick wall and we are barely out of the starting gate.  I was so hopeful and excited before I read the letter.  ::sigh::

2 comments:

anonomity said...

I'm sorry, that must be so frustrating. ((hugs)) I know you mentioned pursuing foster-to-adopt as well, I know (at least in my state) this should be a much more inexpensive option. I'm sure you will be able to make it work, no matter which way your baby is meant to come home.

Anonymous said...

We have adopted three children through the state foster care system, I would say your best bet is to go that way. Although you have to take the classes, the actual adoption costs far less, in fact ours was less than $500 per child and we got to foster them while the parents rights were being severed. It was the best decision we ever made, after trying for ten years to have a child of our own with no luck, so I totally feel your pain in that area. You are blessed, as you know, to have your daughter, and you will have another child if you just keep faith. :)Sending prayers for a child to find its loving home with you and your family really soon.