Friday, October 1, 2010

One More Cycle

I had my appointment with my OB this morning.  I was very agitated before he came into the exam room, because I had to wait almost an hour to see him.  I was already on edge because of my circumstances, so my hopes of having a good appointment were all but dashed.  However, as the last time I visited with him, my OB made me change my tune right away.  He is so personable and I can tell that he has paid attention to my chart and knows what is going on with me.

When he came in, he had a frown on his face.  He said, "When I saw your name on the schedule, I was really hoping it was for happy reasons.  When you left my office three months ago, I was sure that the next time I'd see you would be for your first prenatal appointment."  He told me that my charts looked good and the progesterone draw I had done my first cycle back on Clomid show that I am ovulating.  He told me that the next step could be doing a complete fertility workup on both my husband and me.  He shook his head again and said that he didn't feel like we needed the scans since we've been pregnant twice--the first with no trouble conceiving whatsoever, but he would get me started on them if I wanted.  He recommended that if we start any testing, to start with the sperm analysis since it is easy and relatively inexpensive.

I told him that our plan was to try for one more month, then take off until next summer to avoid having a baby in the middle of a semester.  Then, we would like to try again for a few months.  If we do not conceive, then we would like to proceed with adoption.  I told him that, in my research, gluten-intolerance can lead to infertility and miscarriage, so I wonder if my body still needs time to heal before being able to support a pregnancy.  He agreed that it was certainly a possibility.  He told me about a patient who had one healthy pregnancy and then went on to lose two pregnancies toward the end of the first trimester.  Her father was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, so she was also tested.  She was positive and went on a gluten-free diet.  He said that within a matter of months, she was pregnant--with twins, no less, and was able to carry them to term.

He said that our plan was a good one and that he didn't feel like he had contributed much to the conversation...lol.  I told him the fact that he was there, shaking his head yes, was all I needed.  Well, and a new Rx for more Clomid.  :)

I have a little more hope than I did in the last couple of days.  I don't want to get overly excited, because I know it is a good possibility that we will not become pregnant, but I'm glad to have a doctor who genuinely cares and wants us to succeed.  When he handed me the Rx, he said, "This is it.  I know this is it!"  I hope he's right!

2 comments:

Megan said...

You are already an amazing mother, Sylvia, and I know you'll be holding another baby in your arms when the time is right.

I haven't gone through what you've gone through, but this week has been a very trying week for me: a good friend from college was hit by a drunk driver on Saturday night and passed away as a result of her injuries on Tuesday. She just got married 5 weeks ago, and was ready to start her "forever".

And it's made me think so much about all of the unfair things in life. I was so overcome with anger and sadness and grief and wanting to know "Why?". Last night, her parents let us know that through organ donation, a 12-year-old girl in Missouri now has a new heart and a second chance at life.

And I realized that's why. That God really does have a plan after all. That a 12-year-old girl will now get the chance to go to homecoming and prom and college and to get married and to live life!

So as hard as life gets and as many trials you go through, once the why is answered, an amazing sense of peace and calm will overcome you, and everything you've gone through will manifest itself in a new life. And while you'll never forget what you've gone through, you'll be able to piece everything together and see the path that lead you to that place.

And I'll be right here cheering for you and keeping you in my prayers along the way.

Don't give up. Don't lose hope. You're such an inspiration, and I'm excited for what's to come in your life.

Sylvia said...

Thank you so much, Megan. Your words have touched me!