Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today, we should be celebrating our baby's first birthday.  Instead, we will be honoring Baby May's memory.  Last year, I planted a raspberry bush and released a balloon to mark the occasion.  I just checked the bush yesterday and it is growing very nicely.  There are a couple of blooms, which means at least two berries.  :)  I want to do something symbolic again, but I'm not sure what.  My husband and I will be going to breakfast while our daughter is in preschool, so it will be nice to have a moment alone to remember.

I'm not sure how I feel.  I am swamped with finals and end-of-school-year activities, so I haven't had much time to think.  There is some hope that a year from now, things will be much different.  Then again, I look over the past 2+ years and it makes me feel exhausted and defeated.  I hadn't cried in a long time, that is, until I looked at the scrapbook page I made for Baby May.  It brought the feelings back that had somewhat dulled over time.  Our daughter is having a hard time being an only child lately.  She desperately wants a sibling and has cried about it a couple of times.  She asked why the social worker "won't let us have a baby brother or sister," so I had to explain to her that fostering/adoption is simply too hard for us right now.

One thing is certain--we will never forget Baby May.  What a huge impact you have had on us, angel baby!

"You and I now, it can be alright.  Just hold onto what we know is true.  You and I now, though it's cold inside, feel the tide turning."