Thursday, June 2, 2011

More Gluten

Yesterday, I took my daughter for a treat of frozen yogurt.  I was hyper-vigilant about keeping her away from peanuts (she is severely allergic to them), but didn't think too much about gluten for me other than the obvious toppings.  When we got home, I decided to look up the company's website on the internet and noticed they had nutritional information listed.  They have many flavors of frozen yogurt, but two contain gluten--including the one I chose.  I hoped that I would be okay, but of course that is not the case.  This morning, my rash had returned.  I haven't had a bad outbreak of it since I went off gluten a year ago.

I got in to see my doctor today to see if he wanted to do a skin biopsy.  He said that my symptoms were enough for him to give me an official diagnosis: Celiac Disease.  That may not seem like much, but I feel victorious.  To have a confirmed named for my issues is helpful to me as well as my family, as it is hereditary.

I know you were wondering just what this dermatitis herpetiformis looks like.  I took a picture to document what happened in case I couldn't get in to see the doctor before it cleared.  Keep in mind that this developed overnight and is very mild compared to what I had a year ago.  I have it on both legs and it is a raised, horribly itchy rash.  You're welcome.  LOL.

No comments: